Monday, January 9, 2012

Picture quilts.....

I saw on T.V. last week a show about museum quality picture quilts...I wish I had remembered to jot down the show name. The show was about people making new one of a kind quilts and the museums that were displaying them just as they would paintings.

Here is an example of one studio that makes picture quilts:
http://www.judydales.com/gallery.php?cat=1

The T.V. show I saw discussed the various artists and the prices they were getting....I started paying closer attention to the program when they started talking in the $20,000.00 figures for a new picture quilt.

The quilts were gorgeous colorful textured quilts in all designs and scenes. The sewing technique was inspiring...and the amount of time that must have gone into each piece! My goodness....

The interviewer asked one artist "how do you know what price to put on your quilts?"
The lady answered "well the buyer has to want the quilt more than I do".

The artist didn't figure in the amount of hours or materials into pricing her work...very simply "well the buyer has to want the quilt more than I do".


Well I love glass....colored glass, stained glass, glass beads too. Here is one little item I found in a second hand store. I think it is an ink well but I'm not sure. When I saw it I knew it would work well to hold my fine tipped detailing paint brush and keep that brush from getting a messed up misshaped point. I loved the blue color in the glass. It's very heavy and won't tip over either. I'm very protective of my detail brushes :)


Also here in the studio is a traditional Wyakin resin sculpted by the talented Michelle Platt. Wyakin is a commissioned item to be painted to a nice snowcap appaloosa.
As I'm sitting here looking at the photo above I can totally see in my minds eye Wyakin with the colors the customer has chosen. I'm anxious to begin painting on Wyakin.....



Have a wonderful day everyone!
Sandra Hottinger
C.S.Richmond Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment