Friday, January 20, 2012

Grey experience....



I'm working on painting my 5th dappled grey project.....I'm finally feeling like I'm getting somewhere with painting the color. I'm finding that painting the dappled greys takes more layers of color than any other color I've painted so far and the degree of difficulty ...for me anyway....is about a 10 in a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult. I feel that there is room for improvement with the shape of the dapples....working toward that goal.

Above is a large traditional sized Kladruber stallion sculpted by the super talented Brigitte Eberl....this project is a commissioned item and in this photo he is about 90% completed.

So far I've painted my dappled greys using 100% oil colors and I'm painting 100% by hand....I like the end result and the colors I get using oils for painting greys. I do have pastels here that I might experiment with at a later date.....

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Sandra Hottinger
C.S.Richmond Studios

5 comments:

  1. He looks amazing! You did a great job adding in the brown tones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find pastels are great to lay down the base color, especially to get the shapes of the dapples blocked in. This guy is lovely. All those layers paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and his face :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Danielle and Brenda :) I would love to work more with the pastels as base colors...I painted a Lynn Fraley Smittyn resin a few years back..a bay..and I used the pastels for the base color...oils over that...and then the dark pastels for shading. The work in progress Callahan resin in a previous post here has a pastel base coat which I think worked pretty good. I'd love to try a chestnut using the pastels as a base color too!

    ReplyDelete