Thursday, March 1, 2012

"Bulls Eye" primer testing....

Well I tried the Rustoleum "Bulls Eye" Primer and I like it....the feel of the applied primer ..once it is dry...is between the feel of Gesso and the Rustolium "Painters Touch Sandable Primer" that comes in the spray can. I've just applied the "Bulls Eye" and it must dry for 24 hours before I can do any sanding.

I used my air brush...the really cheap one...to apply the primer. Now the can reads that if you want to water down the primer to mix no more than 2.5 oz clean water to the whole quart.

The primer as is in the can is semi thick...too thick for my air brush to use.

Soooo.....I mixed two tablespoons of the primer to one tablespoon of water...making my mixture the consistency of cream...light cream.

The color of the primer after I applied it to my project has a blu-ish tone....looking at the item now on my studio shelf sitting next to another item primed with my old spray primer there is definitely a slight blue grey cast.

I'm sure after I apply the coat of Gesso the end result will be a creamy white. I'm going to be painting this project a dappled grey so the blue tones won't make a difference for this project.

Today is 70 degrees and sunny...I applied many thin coats of the primer and let the wet evaporate before I applied another layer of the primer.

Here is what the can looks like:

And here is my project with one coat of primer:

The label also reads that this primer "works with all topcoats"....mentions that this primer works wonderfully with Latex, oil based paints, oil or oil based enamel paints....and that this primer "flows smooth and levels evenly to a flat, easy to sand finish". Using my airbrush this primer, once applied, does have an even surface.

The primer finish is very flat/matte.

I'll post more when I begin to apply my oil colors to this project ....

Sandra Hottinger
C.S.Richmond Studios

2 comments:

  1. It must be experimentation week lol! Where did you find this primer? Looks interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! Forgot to say where I purchased it...I purchased the Bulls Eye primer at Lowes ....

    ReplyDelete