Friday, November 2, 2012

Prepping in the sunshine.....

First I would like to send out many thoughts and prayers to those who were in the path of the super storm hurricane Sandy.

Here are the snow/wind/rain totals from NOAA for those who are interested..34 inches of snow in Gatlinburg Tenn and 90 MPH winds in Tomkinsville NJ & Islip NY....

Also:

Per Science News: "Hurricane Sandy has the lowest central pressure ever recorded north of Cape Hatteras, N.C. As of 11 a.m. Eastern time on Monday, Sandy had a minimum central pressure of 943 millibars, breaking the record of 946 millibars from the 1938 “Long Island Express” hurricane."


The amazing power of wind and water!

Yesterday I applied the primer to several prepared resins....I know I've written posts about this before but this time I wanted to included a few more photos to the subject.

About 4 to 6 months ago I began using a new primer. I'm using the Zinsser Bulls Eye Water Based Primer and Sealer....this primer is white, mixes with and cleans up with water, and is sand-able.

I buy the quart can and apply my primer with my super cheap-o air brush.

Here are my supplies I use:


1)Small air compressor
2)latex glove to use on the hand holding the resin I am spraying
3)dust mask....since I am spraying outside and down wind this is the mask I use.If you are spraying sealer or primer in an enclosed area you would need the mask that is used for blocking vapors and dust.  
4) cheap air brush
5)air brush bottle
6)spoon or knife to spoon the primer from the can to your bottle and also to stir you water and primer mix
7) water container and water

First I fill my air brush bottle about 1/2 full...


The Bulls Eye is pretty thick so I need to water it down to about 50% primer and 50% water in order for the air brush to be able to spray the primer onto my subject. I also want to apply several thin coats of primer rather than thick coats....drying good between coats as well....

Next I mix my 50% water and 50% primer that is in my air brush bottle...the mixture should be about the thickness of skim milk or low fat milk....


You can see above that the thickness is about like low fat milk....

Next I test the mixture and spray with my air brush to be sure the mixture is thin enough and that my air brush is working properly before I spray my subject...


You can see above that the coverage of the mixture is pretty good. I will need to apply about three coats of primer for that day....I apply one coat and let the sprayed items dry in the sun ( I am working today in 65 degree temps) and go back about an hour later and apply the second coat....wait an hour and then I apply the final coat. 

When I finish one of the coat applications I remove my air brush and air brush bottle top from my air brush.bottle ....all in one piece ....and place into my measuring cup of water. This keeps the primer from drying on my equipment while the primer layers are drying on my subjects.

I hold my subject about 12 inches away from my air brush while I am spraying...turning the subject while I spray and spraying in small sweeping motions. Applying the primer this way keeps from applying too much primer in one area and having drips on the subject....


After I've finished my primer session I clean my air brush by running some water through the air brush...I do this by placing my brush and the cap into a small container of water and depressing the button to release air through the device....


Next I allow the primered items to dry for a few days and then go over them under my studio light for places that need to have the primer re-applied and/or sanded. At that point I can apply any other primer I need to apply ( 50/50 water/primer ratio) with a small make up sponge or super soft brush.

That is about it...


Here is a group of resins that are ready to paint...five of these were prepped by others ..Terri Grothpietz and Charlotte Donahue worked their magic for providing me a wonderful smooth "canvas" to paint on....I can not remember who pepped the "Say Hello" resin.....

Among the group is a customized Ravenhill Revisited which is copy #9 out of the first 20 pre sales for Ravenhill Revisited sold...a customized Rose Reining horse..a wonderful AA Donna Chaney Clydesdale removed from its base...and a lovely Spago resin customized by the talents of Dagmar Anderson.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Sandra Hottinger
C.S.Richmond Studios







No comments:

Post a Comment