Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Slow paint drying weather....

The cooler temperatures are here early this year...temperatures well below the normal...loving the nice fall weather!

Paint drying time has slowed with the cooler temperatures as it does every year....mostly effecting the drying times of the whites.

I have been prepping several resins preparing for the next group of projects. Elsie & Oliver, Valor, Bacchus (2 copies), a customized Ravenhill Revisited, and the customized Rose Reining Horse are all part of the next batch of projects.

Below you see the continuation of  the Stormwatch resin...he now is much darker and has dapples and fleabites. Stormy is drying now for about a week before I can proceed with the next painting session...his last coat of paint contained an extensive use of white shades of color.




Another interesting project is the Ravenhill Revisited project....RR is sculpted by the super gifted team of Hillary Hurley and Stacy Tumlinson.

Here I have customized this copy with a new shorter mane and tail to match his soon to be spotted colors....


Happy fall everyone!
Sandra Hottinger
C.S.Richmond Studios








2 comments:

  1. Just amazing. My thanks to you and others that post painting and sculpting tips. I am getting back into remaking and painting after a 20 year break and the work out there is GORGEOUS. Truely humbling. I am trying oils for the first time and LOVE them. A question for you. How long do you wait or the oil paint to cure before spraying with sealer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Gail! I am happy you are enjoying using the oil colors! To answer your question about drying times before I apply the sealer:
    I go by touch of the painted surface...to me oils that are not completely dry have a tacky feeling when I run my finger over the painted surface....if the oils are completely dry there is a silk-like feel to the surface. I am hand painting in VERY THIN layers of oil colors....the whites take longer to dry than the dark color oils....it takes about 6 to 8 weeks for a white horse to completely dry before I apply the sealer and for a dark horse with no white markings usually 3 to 4 weeks before I apply my sealer. I apply my sealer in VERY THIN coats as well allowing to dry at least over night between applications.Thank you for your question!

    ReplyDelete