Saturday, August 25, 2012

Sealer discussion..."Annihilator" shows the difference...

Several people have asked me what sealer I use. I completed the Annihilator V1 project yesterday so I thought this would be a good time to show the difference sealer makes to my paintwork.

I have mentioned this several times before and I'll mention it again for those who so not know...it is very important not to breath any spray sealant, spray paints, ect. as they can cause all kinds of respiratory issues. Always spray outside and apply your sealer so that the wind is blowing the spray away from you. There is a saying I read once: "If you can smell it you are breathing in the fine particles of the spray".

I am painting in oil colors and I use the Krylon Artists acrylic brands of sealers. I started out in 2003 using the Krylon Matte seen here:

http://www.krylon.com/products/matte_finish/

This sealer will cause a milky-cloudy look to darker painted horses, such as bays and blacks. if used on a humid day or if you apply the sealer too thickly in one spraying session. It will also cause a fine powdery look to dark horses if applied too far away from the surface of your item.

Later I moved on to other textures of sealants ..mostly because I was looking for a sealant that would bring out the fine color quality of the oil colors I use better than the matte sealer.

I moved onto using these two sealants for my work: The Krylon Workable Fixatif

http://www.krylon.com/products/workable_fixatif/

and the Krylon Satin Finish:

http://www.krylon.com/products/satin_finish/

You will notice that all of the above are non-yellowing sealants...using a sealant that does not yellow is, without doubt, very important to preserving the quality of your work. You would not want your white markings or your white horse to become yellow several years down the road.

The Krylon Workable Fixatif is wonderful if you want a more glossy look or a slightly glossy look. Apply the sealant in two or three coats for a more glossy look. For a less glossy look apply the sealer from about 14 inches away from your item and only apply two thin layers.

I like the Krylon Satin to apply to my white or lighter colored horses. Also some customers do not care for the slight gloss look of the fixatif ...it is then that I use the Satin finish.

I have never had an issue with these sealers becoming sticky on the surface of my completed paintwork. The key is to allow your paint work to dry COMPLETELY before applying any sealer. It is also key to allow your primer to dry completely before applying another coat of primer or applying your paint layers. It is also very important to allow your paint to dry very well between layers before applying the next coat of paint.

Now for the photos...on Annihilator V1 I have used the workable fixatif.
Annihilator V1 was sculpted by the super talented Debbi Lermond.

Before sealer:

after sealer


before sealer



I have read that the sprays have a shelf life. I have used cans of the sealer up to about 2 years after purchase.  

For glossing hooves and eyes I hand paint a high gloss sealer with a tiny brush. I use the "Deco Art Triple Thick" acrylic and the Delta Ceramcoat gloss acrylic sealer. Both of these clean up with water and are non-toxic.

Well....that is about it for the information on the sealers I use.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
C.S.Richmond Studios









No comments:

Post a Comment